Thursday, October 20, 2011

We Are Called


If you have read any of my previous postings, you are aware that I embarked on this journey to vowed membership with the Dominicans of Sinsinawa about 10 years ago.  Though I did not hear my name called in a dream as Samuel did, I did, no doubt, experience a beckoning to a new life excursion.  Actually, throughout my 60+ trips around the sun, there have been many invitations, God’s interventions in my life. 

The most recent summons was just about as unexpected as the call to embark on this voyage of vowed relationship with the Dominicans of Sinsinawa.  I had been serving the Congregation providing administrative support for the management team in our Finance Office.  I loved what I was doing and the team of people I worked with.  This summer, however, our newly elected Prioress (president) extended a call to be her secretary.  After much prayer and discernment with trusted friends and mentors, I did recognize this as a call from God and said, “Yes.”  

Yes, I did mourn the loss of the role I had, and I am climbing a learning curve.  But the peace that comes with saying, “Yes” is incredible.

What call has God extended your way lately?  How do you feel about it?

Anne Sur, OP
East Dubuque, Iowa

1 comment:

  1. A sister in the spiritOctober 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM

    Over the years, there were several invitations which I did not choose to recognize and which at the times they occurred, did not fit into "my plan" for my life.

    In recent years, there have been more invitations to consider. Each time, after much prayer, thought and conversation, I have concluded that it is not my calling in life and I have been at peace with those decisions. Yet after repeatedly arriving at that same conclusion, I still find myself revisiting the question!

    I think this particular quote challenges us all to rethink choices.

    "If you are what you should be, you will set the world on fire." Catherine of Siena

    While the work I do has its merits, I see the good others are doing and wonder if my energies are misdirected.

    I've experienced so little change that the idea of a "YES" bringing peace at this stage in my life seems improbable. Yet there are others for whom your positive response may be just the message they need to hear.

    Sr. Anne - thank you for your sharings as they are most encouraging and helpful to those finding themselves in some stage of discernment at a "non-traditional" point in life.

    ReplyDelete

Sinsinawa Sister Videos

Blog Archive

Followers