Thursday, November 8, 2012

God Qualifies the Called


Before I came to Alaska I would often defer to others I felt were more articulate or talented than I was, and I preferred to be in the background. As a result I never fully realized the gifts I had to share, especially with a faith community.  However, when I arrived in Juneau six years ago there were few resources here to help to nurture growth in faith.  I found myself more or less thrust into the position of being a leader of prayer at times when others were not available.  At first I balked: who was I to lead prayer for a community I hardly knew?  But I remember learning that God doesn't always call the qualified, but God qualifies the called. With that confidence and with a fair amount of courage I began to lead occasional weekday Communion services.

When I was asked one day to lead a Sunday service in a nearby village I not only saw this as an opportunity to use the gifts of grace I had discovered but I was also greatly enriched myself by sharing faith with a new community.  What was I afraid of?  I guess I didn't see these times as moments of being called and that when God calls, if I do my part, God will take care of the rest.

Have you ever been called to share a gift you didn't know you had until "circumstances" called you to do so?

Marie Lucek, OP
Juneau, Alaska


3 comments:

  1. I love this reflection, Marie. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Sinsinawa Sister Videos

Blog Archive

Followers