Daily Grind

Daily Grind

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Breathe Life Into It

As a member of a couple of other blogs, the one thing that I notice that seems different to me about this blog, in comparison to others, is the seemingly “one-sidedness” of the information or sharing. I guess I am wondering, “is anyone out there?” J Is the information that is being shared engaging? Are there other topics that would better stimulate dialogue? What topics in particular would stir comment and invite conversation? I guess what I am really hoping for is some guidance on how to make Catherine’s Café an even better place to be. I would enjoy “sipping” from your insights, comments and responses.

French Satiric moralist Jean de la Bruyère (1645-1696) offered the following insight, “The great gift of conversation lies less in displaying it ourselves than in drawing it out of others.” Another quote, (James Nathan Miller), which rang true for me goes like this, "There is not such thing as a worthless conversation, provided you know what to listen for. And questions are the breath of life for a conversation." I would greatly appreciate your help in making this wonderful social networking tool, this blog, more appealing. Your questions and comments would “breath life into it.”
Sr. Christina Heltsley, O.P.

6 comments:

  1. Has the blog been "publicized" in any way (diocesan pubs, parish bulletins, Newman Centers, etc.) or are those reading it persons who go to the website already or find it by accident?

    Have the instructors at some of your affiliated high schools and colleges and congregation members serving in parish ministries been "formally introduced" to the blog? Are students directed to the site to read blog entries and prompt in-class discussions? Have they been challenged to reflect on some of the entries and respond in writing to one which speaks to them or catches their interest? Have small church, singles or scripture study groups been made aware of the blogging opportunity? Once individuals know where to find the entries, some may return on their own to express their thoughts and spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I really enjoy this blog. I think of it more as a "thought of the day" blog rather than one where I would make comments. However, I come here frequently, read the stories and gain some inspiration that helps me make a difference in my corner of the world. I say keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see a discussion regarding Religious Life for Women beyond the 45-50 cutoff. Not many Communities offer that,yet we have Seminaries dedicated to "Later Vocations" for men that get ordained in early 60's. Do they believe it would be harder for women to adapt to Community life than men? Even Diocesan priests live with at least one other priest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am REALLY, really grateful for the input/ideas/suggestions/topics/affirmations so far. Thank you...no really, thank you! These ideas will help the "bloggers"-including me, to know what direction to take. With gratitude, Sister Christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Joanna, I do more reading for inspiration than blogging and look forward to the insights and reflections of the sisters. I would also like to see discussion on later vocations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look for something on later vocations (i.e. vocations after 50) toward the end of August. I am scheduled to post then and am willing to share some thoughts and experiences. I went to my first vocation retreat at 47 and began my process with the Sinsinawa Dominicans a few years later.
    Sister Tanya

    ReplyDelete

Sinsinawa Sister Videos

Blog Archive

Followers